Filbert Street, Leicester, LE2 7FL, United Kingdom
110 yards by 70 yards
1891 (Closed 2002)
Filbert Street was a football stadium located in Leicester, England. It was the home of Leicester City Football Club from 1891 until 2002. The stadium was named after the street on which it was located, named after Robert de Beaumont, 4th Earl of Leicester, whose nickname was “Robert le Grant”.
What was the capacity of Filbert Street?
The stadium had a capacity of 22,000 spectators, but was expanded to hold 30,000 in the 1920s. Filbert Street was known for its compact size, which created an intense and intimidating atmosphere. The stadium was also known for its distinctive double-decker stands, which provided excellent views of the pitch.
Over the years, Filbert Street hosted many memorable matches, including Leicester City’s victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the 1961 FA Cup final. However, by the 1990s, the stadium was showing its age and was in need of modernisation.
What happened to Filbert Street?
In 2002, Leicester City moved to a new stadium, the King Power Stadium, and Filbert Street was demolished soon after.
Today, a housing development occupies the site where Filbert Street once stood. However, the stadium’s legacy lives on, and Leicester City fans still remember it fondly as the home of many great moments in the club’s history.
Filbert Street stadium was a rectangular-shaped stadium with four stands, all of which were covered. The stands were named the North Stand, East Stand, West Stand, and the Double Decker. The Double Decker was unique two-tiered stand that was located behind one of the goals. The stadium was built mainly of concrete and had a distinctive floodlight pylon at each corner of the ground.
Leicester City 3-2 Derby County (1994)
Two local rivals battling it out in a thrilling encounter. Leicester City came from behind twice to win the match 3-2, with Steve Walsh scoring the winning goal in the 89th minute.
Leicester City 4-3 Aston Villa (1997)
A classic end-to-end encounter, with both teams attacking relentlessly. Leicester City came out on top, with Tony Cottee scoring a hat-trick to secure a 4-3 victory.
Leicester City 3-2 Manchester United (1963)
A thrilling encounter between two of the biggest teams in English football at the time, Leicester City came from behind to win the match 3-2, with Mike Stringfellow scoring the winning goal in the 88th minute.
Leicester City 2-1 Liverpool (1981)
This game was always going to be a close affair. Leicester City won the match 2-1, with Steve Lynex scoring the winning goal in the 85th minute. The victory helped Leicester City secure promotion to the top flight of English football.
An English first at Leicester’s old stadium
Filbert Street was the first football stadium in England to have a covered stand. The stand was built in 1920 and was known as the Double Decker because it had two tiers of seating.
Filbert Street record attendance
The record attendance at Filbert Street was 47,298, which was set in 1934 for an FA Cup tie between Leicester City and Tottenham Hotspur.
Leicester City’s world-first
In 1997, Filbert Street became the first stadium in the world to install a giant video screen. The screen measured 21 square metres and was used to show replays and other match information.
Policing at Filbert Street
Filbert Street was the first stadium in England to have a police control room. The control room was built in 1964 and was used to monitor crowds and ensure public safety.
Last game at Filbert Street
The last match played at Filbert Street was a 2-1 victory for Leicester City over Tottenham Hotspur on May 11, 2002. The winning goal was scored by Gary Lineker, who had played for both clubs during his career.
Highest Ever Attendance: 47,298 v Tottenham Hotspur, February 18, 1928
Lowest Ever Attendance: 4,098 V Mansfield Town, (League Cup) September 24, 1991
Highest Scoring Match: 10-0, Leicester City beat Portsmouth on December 15, 1928
Top Goalscorer: Arthur Chandler, who scored 273 goals
First Hat-Trick: Arthur Chandler, who scored three goals in a 3-0 victory over Blackpool on September 29, 1923