This soccer ball size guide by Soccer Tricks will assist in finding the right soccer ball size can be confusing, especially if you are purchasing the ball as a gift or for someone else. So what soccer ball size do you need?
If you have just a little bit of information about the player you should have no problem using our guide below to find the right soccer ball size.
Soccer balls sizes correspond to player age, but ball size for youth soccer leagues can differ from league to league. In general, here are the appropriate soccer ball size by age:
Soccer Ball Size Guide by Age
|Soccer Ball||Age (y/o)||Size (circumference)|
|Size 5||12+||27-28 inches (68-70 cm)|
|Size 4||8-12||25-26 inches (63.5-66 cm)|
|Size 3||under 8||23-24 inches (58.5-61 cm)|
|Size 1||under 3||18-20 inches (46-51 cm)|
- For soccer purists, The Traditional is the first choice for the backyard, street or pitch. This machine-sewn ball has the classic black and white panel design and performance for any and every match.
- Synthetic leather cover for increased durability
- Butyl rubber bladder for excellent air and shape retention
Size 5 Soccer Balls
For most players (over the age of 12, including adults and professionals this includes 12U soccer ball size) a Size 5 ball is best suited and standard. The circumference or distance around the ball is 27″-28″ and the weight is generally 410-450 grams. A size 5 is referred to as the ‘normal soccer ball size’, professional size soccer ball, professional soccer ball size, adult size soccer ball, and the adult soccer ball size. As you now know, Size 5 is the FIFA standard for soccer ball size for any players 12 years and older and has remained the standard size for over a century.
Size 5 soccer balls should have air pressure between 8.5 and 15.6 PSI.
Size 5 soccer ball age is 12+ in most areas, however some U10 organizations here in Michigan use a size 5 ball.
Premium Match balls will carry the “FIFA Inspected” or “FIFA Approved” stamp, meaning that they have undergone and passed proper testing. These types of Size 5 balls generally cost more than other balls available; however, they are also generally used for major or sanction competitions, tournaments, and matches. Match balls will also carry some certification or approval, but it will be from a different overseeing body, such as NCAA. A majority of the professional soccer leagues around the world prefer that a soccer ball size 5 is adjusted and filled at 13 PSI. Every soccer ball manufacturer and each soccer ball size may have a recommendation for the pressure or PSI printed directly on the the soccer ball so check that first!
Expensive Soccer Balls – Are they Worth it? Let’s Find Out…
Want to fill your soccer ball size to the exact PSI every time without worry? Check out the soccer ball pump below, it’s amazing! (Can be used for other sports balls, bike tires, etc. as well.)
- Automatic Electric Ball Pump:Electric Ball Pump designs with intelligent pressure detection and stop function,just preset the correct ball PSI,press to start and it will automatically stop inflating once the preset pressure is reached. Smart and easy to use.
- Accurate Pressure Alignment: built-in Digital Pressure Gauge and LCD Display, you can preset a very accurate PSI to inflate your ball ,and then you could get an accurate level of pressure (PSI) in balls. Makes inflating balls much easier without wasting time, you can focus, not on the ball but, on the game
- Fast Ball Pump-Free Your Hands and Save Your Energy:Air volume input: 4L/M, which finishes inflation of a ball in just 1-2 minutes. No need to be sweating for pushing or pulling those manual ball pumps with your hands. Saving more energy to beat your opponent
- Portable Compact Design:Size: 6.29*1.57*1.57inch, Weight: 0.55LB, fit to in your bag, your boot or even your pocket. Allows you to take this mini pump to wherever you might need it to keep your balls inflated.With bright LED lights and backlight LCD display make it convenient to use the ball pump at night or in dark places.
Bestselling Size 5 Soccer Balls
Size 4 Soccer Ball
Size 4 balls are generally used for those players U8 to U11 (Size 4 is the regulated size for 8U soccer ball size). The dimensions of a size 4 ball are roughly 25″-26″ in circumference weigh between 350-390 grams. A size 4 soccer ball is the proper size soccer ball for 7 year olds, 8 year olds, 9 year olds, and 10 year olds. The smaller size is more beneficial for the above-mentioned age group since it will allow players to get accustomed to their skill set with an appropriate apportioned ball. Those at this age may find a size too big for them to skillfully work with a ball due to the size of the individual.
Soccer leagues will generally and should be using the correct ball size for the appropriate age group during games, practices, and such. It is vital for the development of the individual player to use the correct equipment. Size 4 soccer ball is commonly referred to as kids soccer ball size.
Bestselling Size 4 Soccer Balls
Size 3 Soccer Balls
Size 3 balls are best suited for U8 or younger players. The typical measurements around are 23″-24″, weighing about 300-320 grams. A size 3 ball is the smallest competitive ball used. The use of the appropriate size ball for this age group is essential for development. It will allow them to kick, dribble, and move with the ball in a more skillful and easier manner. Again, the use of a larger size ball can cause issues due to the player’s size.
This is the u8 soccer ball size here in Michigan, however, we have traveled and seen other organizations using up to a size 5?!?!? for for u8 games. Hopefully you won’t run into this! The u8 soccer ball size or 8u soccer ball size should be a size 3 soccer ball. But of course, if you have big children (Erling Haaland) then I’m sure a size 5 at age 5 is fine 🙂
Size 1 Soccer Ball
Size 1 soccer balls are commonly known as “mini balls”, and generally for novelty purposes. However, size 1 balls can be very useful for skills development of all ages. Generally, the ball is about 18″-20″ round and will vary in weight. This size is perfect to provide as a gift, first introduction to a toddler, or used to hone touch and overall skill.
- Machine-stitched, standard size soccer ball
- SIZED FOR 12 plus: Size 5 ball (official size) suggested for ages 12 plus
- KEEPS ITS SHAPE: Butyl bladder for best air retention
- REQUIRES INFLATION: Ships flat, pump not included
Learn about the different types of soccer balls.
Hopefully you found this soccer ball size guide useful and are able to find the right size soccer ball for you or your player(s)!
What pressure is a premier league soccer ball?
FIFA states that the air pressure in a regulation soccer ball must be between 8.5 and 15.6 PSI. Premier League soccer balls maintain the regulated air pressure for soccer balls as per the FIFA soccer ball pressure rule.
Check out The Best Portable Soccer Goals under $100 -&- Best Soccer Rebounders Reviewed
Soccer Ball Sizes FAQs
What age is a size 3 soccer ball for?
A size 3 soccer ball is appropriate for youth players 8 years old and younger.
How big is a size 4 soccer ball?
A size 4 soccer ball has a circumference of 25-26 inches (63.5-66 cm) and weighs around 13 ounces or 370 grams.
What age uses size 4 soccer ball?
Soccer players aged 8 to 11 years old use a size 4 soccer ball.
What size soccer ball does a 7 year old use?
A 7 year old will use a size 3 soccer ball, however this will depend on the league or organization that the youth player is participating.
How many pounds is a size 5 soccer ball?
The average size 5 soccer ball will weigh roughly 15 ounces which is 1 ounce lighter than a pound.
What PSI should a size 4 soccer ball be?
A size 4 soccer ball is recommended to have a 8 – 11 PSI.
What PSI should a size 5 soccer ball be?
A size 5 (regulation size) must have an air pressure of between 8.5 – 15.6 PSI as per FIFA rules.
What PSI should a size 3 soccer ball be?
A size 3 soccer ball has a recommended range of 6 – 9 PSI. This can vary by manufacturer.